Telling alternative facts – 80% of people believe it’s OK to “massage the truth”
With controversy growing over the use of “alternative facts” in American politics, 888poker unveil a study into how much we mislead others – and find that in a OnePoll survey of 1000 respondents, 84% of women said they believed it was OK to tell the occasional white lie, compared to 77% of men.
Are you a gifted liar or a second-rate fibber? Can you bluff with the best of them, or do you fold on the first hand? A new infographic from 888poker shows just how many of us are prepared to massage the truth, whether for a good cause, or just to take a day off work without using any holiday. Or to dismiss insightful media criticisms.
Lies and statistics
Have a look at some of the most outrageous responses to the survey below, but take them with a pinch of salt – only 31% said they’d own up if they got caught lying!
- There were any numbers of reasons to “call in sick” - including wanting to go fishing, “I hate my boss” and even getting married!
- 20% of respondents would stick to their lie if they were caught out.
- 42% of women have lied about their diets – a moment on the lips…
- 32% of people have fibbed on their CV – but the other 68% might be lying.
- 55% of women have lied about the price of a purchase, compared to only 33% of men… they didn’t say how much the difference was, though.
- "I'm on my way!" - More than 62% of people admitted to saying they were somewhere they weren’t.
- "I got stuck in traffic!" - 53% of respondents used busy roads and transport as their excuse for being late.
- “I like your outfit!” – Protecting feelings, or protecting themselves? Either was, 53% of people copped to telling this white lie.
- "It was on sale!" - Although more popular amongst women, almost 45% of people told the occasional fib about how much they were spending.
- “I’m ill!” - 44% of people said they’ll occasionally pull a sickie to get off work.
- “My phone ran out of battery!” - 41% of respondents dodged a conversation by blaming their technology.
- "I only had one drink!" – 36% of respondents said they’d understated how much they’d put away.
- “I didn’t have any signal!” - 44% of people just didn’t want to pick up the phone.
- 35% of people said they had lied about spending time with loved ones.
- 32% of our respondents admitted to "boosting" their CV a little bit.
The suggestions include:
- Admit something true – it’ll keep your interrogator on their toes.
- Go on the offensive – lie before you’re questioned about it, or it’ll be less believable.
- Keep your story straight – remember all the details or you’ll trip yourself up!
- Keep to your normal way of speaking – don’t use words you wouldn’t normally, or you’ll get caught out!
Check out the rest of the funny, tragic, and bizarre results in this infographic.